The United States, US, government on
Sunday, threw the entire nation into confusion, by failing to confirm or
deny an allegation by Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, that
President Muhammadu Buhari was barred from entering the US for 15 years.
Post-Nigeria could recall that two weeks
ago, Atiku in an interview with The Boss magazine, said the US had
barred Buhari from the US for 15 years, due to his religious beliefs.
Although, the Presidency had however,
debunked Atiku’s claim, stating that “at no time was President Buhari,
as a private person, ever forbidden from entering any country in the
In two email correspondences, the US authorities refused to confirm or deny the ex-Vice President’s claims.
When the US Department of States was
contacted to confirm why Buhari was barred from entering the US for 15
years and Atiku for “administrative reasons”, a US official said: “Due
to US privacy laws, visa cases are considered confidential. We do not
discuss specific cases.”
Another email asking the American
government whether it ever viewed Buhari as holding extreme religious
views, and if Atiku was free to apply for a US visa, was also sent.
It also inquired how many politically exposed persons from Nigeria had been barred from entering the US since 1999.
“Unfortunately, I do not have anything
further to add at this time. Regarding questions about visas, due to US
privacy laws, visa cases are considered confidential, and we do not
discuss private cases”, was the response of Nick Sadoski, a US